We did the Mount Batur sunrise trip earlier this year, just a few months before Mount Agung erupted and it was EVERYTHING! The volcano sunrise hike was definitely the highlight of our Bali trip and I’d do it again in a heartbeat; views and memories I’ll remember forevzzz!
You will find stalls selling tickets for this trip all around the island, we booked ours in Ubud after searching around for the best price. All companies will include pick up from your hotel and the trip can cost between 300,000rupiah and 1,000,000rupiah depending on which company you choose. Most companies offer the same itinerary so we really didn’t see much point in spending more money for the same experience, so we went for the cheapest one we could find (300,000rupiah, about £18) and our guides absolutely made our day!
- Pick up by mini bus at around 2am.
- Driven to first location and given breakfast (banana pancake & tea/coffee)
- Driven to second location at the bottom of the mountain, introduced to our guides and started the trek at around 3.30am.
*The trek obviously starts in the dark but don’t worry you are given torches (1 each or 1 between 2) *
- Two hour guided trek up the side of Mount Batur
*the first part is fairly flat and then it becomes a lot steeper and uneven on the ground*
- Arrive at the first view point. Given the option to stop here or carry on to the summit. This stop is good for those who have no energy left or are happy with the view from here.
- Option to carry on to the summit, if you feel fit and capable I would definitely recommend doing this! You will witness the most amazing sunrise of your life and an incredible view of Mount Agung (another active volcano)! This last part of the climb is a lot harder but so worth the effort!
*There are dogs and monkeys at the summit so keep hold of your food and drink else it’ll get snatched up quickly*
- A second breakfast is given at the summit (boiled egg, cake, banana & bottle of water).
- Once the sun has risen you can make your way down with your guide, this takes around 1 hour and a half.
- When you reach the bottom you’re driven to a coffee plantation where you are able to try some Balinese coffees included in your ticket price!
- Drop off back to your hotel at around 10am.
*Good trainers are recommended as the rocks can be big and loose on the ground.*
*The trek can be difficult depending on how fit you are but the view is definitely worth the struggle!*
*Take a jumper or long sleeves as it can get a bit chilly before the sun has risen*
Our guides Kan and Kutu were brilliant, they stayed with us the whole way, helping us climb up and down difficult sections. They had brilliant Balinese knowledge and we had such a laugh with them both!
This really was a once in a life time activity and I would recommend it to anyone! It is a very popular excursion so expect to see hundreds of people turning up to the bottom of the mountain at 3am for the trip with different companies!
I hope you decide to climb the beautiful Mount Batur volcano! 1717 metres and worth every step! Thanks for reading, feel free to comment/like/share/follow! 🙂